[llvm-dev] Checking when Register Allocation has been performed

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 16 09:31:29 PST 2018

Please don't rely on this for checking whether regalloc was run: You can have functions without vregs pre-RA[1].

We don't need or should track state such as pre/post-RA as part of the function. Instead it really is a property of where a pass was scheduled, so the pass should know and not the function.

I'd recommend simply creating a pre-RA and a post-RA pass instead of scheduling the same pass twice. (Of course you can share most of the pass implementation if they turn out to be similar).

- Matthias

[1]: While currently we do not set the NoVRrgs flag pre-ra even if there are no vregs used, when loading a .mir file for example the flag is computed from scratch and will be set.