[llvm-dev] Relationship between clang, opt and llc

toddy wang via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 9 00:09:26 PST 2018

Thanks, Craig.

So, clang -Xclang -disable-llvm-passes actually disables all the LLVM
passed populated by clang so that there is no middle-end optimization on bc
files.

clang -O2 LULESH.c  //clang is the driver, invoking cc1, cc1as, ld
                                   //options can be passed through to cc1
directly.
                                   //maybe have different names, e.g.
-fvectorize in clang driver and -vectorize-loops in clang -cc1
                                   //options are dumped by clang -help
and clang
--help-hidden

clang -cc1                   // c/c++ frontend is also referred as clang
                                   // this is the c/c++
frontend(preprocessor + Lexer + parser) and middle-end ( LLVM-IR optimizer
+ IR-assembly generator)
                                   //controlled by -Xclang <options>,
Xclang options dumped by clang -cc1 -help
                                   //mllvm Options like -unroll-max count
are controlled by -mllvm <options>.
                                   //mllvm Options can be dumped by clang
-v -help -mllvm and clang -v --help-hidden

                                  *//Question: are all mllvm options for
middle-end while Xclang options are for front-end?*

clang -cc1as              // assembly-obj assembler
ld/ldd/gold                  //linker (if -flto is not provided) or
link-time optimizer and linker (if -flto -fuse-ld=lld is provided or -flto
-fuse-ld=gold is provided)