[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Why is #pragma STDC FENV_ACCESS not supported?

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 8 19:49:47 PST 2018

On 01/08/2018 07:06 PM, Richard Smith via llvm-dev wrote:
> On 8 January 2018 at 11:15, Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev
>
>     Hi Kevin,
>
>     Thanks for reaching out about this, and thanks especially for
>     offering to help. I've had some other priorities that have
>     prevented me from making progress on this recently.
>
>     As far as I know, there is no support at all in clang for handling
>     the FENV_ACCESS pragma. I have a sample patch somewhere that I
>     created to demonstrate how the front end would create the
>     constrained intrinsics instead of normal FP operations, but
>     correctly implementing support for the pragma requires more front
>     end and language expertise than I possess. I believe Clark Nelson,
>     who does have such expertise, has this on his long term TODO list
>     but I don't know anything about the actual timeframe when the work
>     will begin.
>

> If you want to work on this side of things, the place to start would
> be teaching the lexer to recognize the attribute and produce a
> suitable annotation token, then teaching the parser to parse the token
> in the places where the pragma can appear and to track the current
> FENV_ACCESS state. Then you'll need to find a suitable AST
> representation for the pragma (I have some ideas on this, feel free to
> ask), both for the affected compound statements and for the affected
> floating-point operations, build those representations when necessary,
> and teach the various AST consumers (LLVM IR generation and constant
> expression evaluation immediately spring to mind) how to handle them.

FWIW, I think it would be nice for the IRBuider to have a kind of
"strict FP" state, kind of like how we have a "fast math" state for
adding fast-math flags, that will cause CreateFAdd and friends to
produce the associated intrinsics, instead of the IR instructions, when
strictness is enabled.

  -Hal

>     On the LLVM side of things there are a few significant holes. As
>     you've noticed, the FP to integer conversions operations still
>     need intrinsics, as do fcmp, fptrunc, and fpext. There are
>     probably others that I'm overlooking. The FP to SI conversion has
>     an additional wrinkle that needs to be worked out in that the
>     default lowering of this conversion to machine instructions is not
>     exception safe.
>
>     In general, the current "strict FP" handling stops at instruction
>     selection. At the MachineIR level we don't currently have a
>     mechanism to prevent inappropriate optimizations based on floating
>     point constraints, or indeed to convey such constraints to the
>     backend. Implicit register use modeling may provide some
>     restriction on some architectures, but this is definitely lacking
>     for X86 targets. On the other hand, I'm not aware of any specific
>     current problems, so in many cases we may "get lucky" and have the
>     correct thing happen by chance. Obviously that's not a viable long
>     term solution. I have a rough plan for adding improved register
>     modeling to the X86 backend, which should take care of instruction
>     scheduling issues, but we'd still need a mechanism to prevent
>     constant folding optimizations and such.
>
>     As for what you could begin work on, it should be a fairly
>     straight-forward task to implement the intrinsics for fptosi,
>     fptoui, fcmp, fptrunc, and fpext. That would be a gentle
>     introduction. Beyond that, it would be very helpful to have some
>     pathfinding work done to solidify exactly what the remaining
>     shortcomings are. I have a patch somewhere (stale by now, but I
>     could refresh it pretty easily) that unconditionally converts all
>     FP operations to the equivalent constrained intrinsics. You could
>     use that to do testing and find out what's broken.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Andy

Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility