[llvm-dev] Submitting patches for LLVM -- llvm-commits vs. Phabricator?

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jan 8 15:14:05 PST 2018

> On Jan 3, 2018, at 9:40 AM, Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 2, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Christoph Kindl via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 09:59:56 -0600
>>> From: Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>
>>> To: llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [llvm-dev] Submitting patches for LLVM -- llvm-commits
>>> 	vs. Phabricator?
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> The current practice is to upload a patch to phabricator and add
>>> llvm-commits as a subscriber. This will send an email to the mailing
>>> list. You can (and should) add some reviewers too.
>>>
>>> -Krzysztof
>>
>>> On 31 Dec 2017, at 04:49, Shoaib Meenai wrote:
>>>
>>> Yup, Phabricator is generally preferred for patches.
>>>
>>> Additionally, are you subscribed to the mailing list? I can't find where I read it now, but I believe your messages are held for moderation if you aren't subscribed. You can subscribe at http://lists.llvm.org/mailman/listinfo/llvm-commits <http://lists.llvm.org/mailman/listinfo/llvm-commits> if needed.
>>
>> Thanks guys! This is my first attempt to submit a patch; I've sent it to llvm-commits because the Developer Guide mentions this as preferred method:
>>
>>> Once your patch is ready, submit it by emailing it to the appropriate project’s commit mailing list (or commit it directly if applicable). Alternatively, some patches get sent to the project’s development list or component of the LLVM bug tracker, but the commit list is the primary place for reviews and should generally be preferred.
>>
>> I guess this part should be updated then to mention Phabricator as the primary place for submitting and reviewing patches?
>
> Would you mind updating the section and uploading the patch to reviews.llvm.org <http://reviews.llvm.org/> :-) ?
> -- adrian

AFAIK, last time we discussed this, the consensus was that the llvm-commits mailing list is the authoritative place for patches and using phabricator (which then produces posts for the mailing list) is considered optional.

In practice of course there is only a handful of people posting to the mailing list directly without using phabricator, so I guess changing the docu is fine :)

- Matthias