[llvm-dev] Linker Option support for ELF

Saleem Abdulrasool via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jan 7 11:59:24 PST 2018

> On Jan 6, 2018, at 4:33 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Glad to have you chime in; I know that you have quit a bit of experience from binutils and gold.  I really would love to see this support be implemented there too, and having your input is certainly valuable.
>
>> I agree that this would be a very useful addition to ELF. I've always
>> wanted to reach the point where you could just type "ld main.o" and
>> have all the dependencies automatically linked in. (Go kind of
>> achieves this, I think.)
>
> Excellent!  I think that everyone agrees that this is a useful extension to add.
>
>> I'm not in favor of using yet another note section, however. SHT_NOTE
>> sections are intended for the use of "off-axis" tools, not for
>> something the linker would need to look for. I don't want to have the
>> linker parsing individual note entries looking for notes of interest
>> to itself, and then having to decide whether to edit those entries out
>> of the larger section, or merge them together. And I also don't want
>> to key off of individual section names -- the linker is not supposed
>> to have to care about the section name. There should be a new section
>> type for this feature. This is  the kind of extension that ELF was
>> designed for.
>
> I’m really not tied to the note approach of implementing this.  I am (admittedly) abusing the notes due to a couple of behavioral aspects of them.  So, the main things to realize is that this information is embedded into the object files that are built.  The information should be processed by the linker and then *discarded*, none of it should be in the final binary (unless it is a relocatable link).  I’m concerned about linkers which do not support this feature preserving the contents.  Now, this could very well be a misconception on my part.  If that is the case, then, I would say that this needs to be entirely reworked, because then adding the section sounds much nicer.
>
> Wouldn't a special section type trigger an "unrecognized section type" error for linkers that don't support it?

Yeah, that is possible.  Compatibility problem exists with ld64, and are handled by means of `-mlinker-version`.  I don’t know how others feel about bringing that flag over to other platforms.  We could force the use of a new section and bring along `-mlinker-version` and base it on that or silently drop the flags (sounds slightly unexpected).  Or we could abuse the notes and not have to worry about the compatibility problem (which is why my initial work went that route).  Again, I’m not tied to the exact mechanism we use to provide compatibility, though my personal preference tends to be go with the nicer solution for longer term (which does feel like the `-mlinker-version` + custom section, but I’m worried about the silent dropping of flags).  Perhaps there is a better solution that I haven’t considered.