[llvm-dev] Relationship between clang, opt and llc

Peizhao Ou via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 5 13:37:01 PST 2018

@Toddy, I think I had some misunderstanding about the Clang command line
options when I posted the question.

I think pipeline 1 and 3 are supposed to have only trivial difference,
while pipeline 2 is supposed to be much slower than the other two because
the "-O0" option in pipeline 2 can disable some of the important passes in
opt (even if you use "-O3" with opt).

I tried to check the IRs generated by pipeline 2 and 3 and saw that they
are not the same (e.g., pipeline 3 emits IR with more alias info that can
be used in opt). And what I did was exactly pipeline 2 (mistakenly thinking
it would be equivalent to pipeline 1). So from my understanding, if you
want to use the clang-opt-llc pipeline, you may need to stick with pipeline
3, where the "-O3 -Xclang -disable-llvm-passes" options tell clang to
generate unoptimized IR that can be later fully optimized as in "clang -O3"
directly.