[llvm-dev] Linker Option support for ELF

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 4 13:16:28 PST 2018

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 8:08 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 4:02 PM, Saleem Abdulrasool <compnerd at compnerd.org
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> There was some interest from a number of a few people about adding
>>> support for embedded linker options to ELF.  This would be an extension
>>> that requires linker support to actually work, but has significant prior
>>> art with PE/COFF as well as MachO both having support for this.
>>>
>>> The desire here is to actually add support to LLVM to pass along the
>>> necessary information into the object file.  In order to keep this focused
>>> on that, this thread is specifically for the *backend*, we are not
>>> discussing how to get the information to the backend here at all, but
>>> assuming that the information is present in the same LLVM IR encoding
>>> (llvm.linker-options module metadata string).
>>>

>> Do we have agreement about this assumption? I think one main point of
>> disagreement is how open-ended we want things, and llvm.linker.options
>> implies, at least at first glance, a very open-ended approach. Can you
>> describe how open-ended llvm.linker.options is, in fact/in practice? I.e.
>> what subset of linker options do the COFF/MachO targets actually support?
>>

> This is something which is already well established.  I'm not proposing to
> change that.  llvm.linker.options is something which is a string passed by
> the frontend.  There is nothing that is interpreted by either side.  This
> is not new metadata that I am introducing, it is the existing
> infrastructure.  Now, if you like, a newer more restrictive mechanism could
> be introduced, but that would be beyond the scope of this change IMO.  Both
> of those do not have any restrictions AFAIK; and any control of what they
> permit is from the *frontend* side.

I agree that introducing a new format with constrained semantics is
probably beyond the scope of what you're trying to do now.

Personally, I think that if we can get ELF linker developers to support the
open-ended format similar to COFF/MachO then we should move forward with
this. Otherwise we are just implementing dead code.

I'm especially interested in getting Rui's SGTM on this since his
experience with COFF should be very informative.

-- Sean Silva