[llvm-dev] how to simplify FP ops with an undef operand?

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 28 15:29:35 PST 2018

For the first part of Sanjay’s question, I think the answer is, “Yes, we can fold all of these to NaN in the general case.” For the second part, which the nnan FMF is present, I’m not sure. The particulars of the semantics of nnan are unclear to me.

But let me explore what Eli is saying. It sounds reasonable, but I have a question about it.

Suppose we have the nnan FMF set, and we encounter this:

%y = fdiv float %x, undef

If I’ve understood Eli’s interpretation correctly, any of the following transformations would be legal and safe:

%y = 0.0
%y = -1.0
%y = inf
%y = NaN

And so on, covering all possible concrete values, right? Now suppose I don’t change it at all. Now I might have IR that looks like this.

%y = fdiv float %x, undef
%z = fmul float %q, %y

At this point, while working on %z, I could reconsider and say “If I had transformed the fdiv into ‘%y = 0.0’ I could optimize this fmul away too.” So at that point I can choose to do that, right? And in general I can “retroactively” choose any concrete value that would be convenient for the next transformation. You see where I’m going with this?

How is that different from just folding the fdiv into undef to begin with? Is it because I can’t choose different values on different code paths?

-Andy