[llvm-dev] SPIRV-LLVM as an external tool

Tom Stellard via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 21 14:55:02 PST 2018

On 02/21/2018 12:15 AM, Tomeu Vizoso via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for a few months already I have been asking around for opinions on how
> people could best work together on Khronos' SPIR-V <-> LLVM-IR converter
> and some consensus seems to have formed.
>
> Most of the people I talked to favored having the converter become an
> external tool within the LLVM project, similar to libclc. I think that
> the LLVM project's processes, infrastructure and community form the best
> place for this collaboration to happen.
>
> I hope that having the converter as part of LLVM can help expand LLVM's
> value proposition in heterogeneous computing, in part by complementing
> the OpenCL C backend in clang.
>
> Thus I would like to ask what the LLVM community needs to see from us
> before SPIRV-LLVM can be accepted as an external tool, if at all.

Does the external tool exist already?  I recommend starting by posting
the code publicly and then ensuring that going forward all development
and discussions about the tool are happening in a public space.

It's important to demonstrate that there is a developer community backing
the tool and that it won't be abandoned if it is added as an llvm
sub-project.

-Tom