[llvm-dev] Is it possible to execute Objective-C code via LLVM JIT?

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 14 17:33:36 PST 2018

Hi David, Stanislav,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Short version: There hasn't been any progress on this just yet, as I have
been busy with an overhaul of the underlying ORC APIs.

1) Hack up something in RuntimeDyldMachO to handle the data structures
> currently generated by clang.  This is fragile, because the interface
> between the compiler and the runtime is not documented, and is unique to
> each runtime.  This code will be different on i386 and ARM, for example.

2) Create a new CGObjCRuntime subclass that creates a module init function
> that constructs all of the classes using the public APIs, by adding
> something like -fobjc-runtime=jit to the clang flags.  This is not
> particularly difficult and means that the same code can be used with any
> Objective-C runtime.

(1) is the preferred long-term solution as we want to minimize differences
between generated code in the JIT'd and non-JIT'd cases. (2) seems like a
reasonable interim solution if it is easier to implement.

Steven -- what is the status of the ObjC parsing code these days?

-- Lang.