[llvm-dev] LLD: targeting cygwin

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 7 15:24:37 PST 2018

COFF lld doesn't support the linker script at the moment, and I'm sad to
say that it is very unlikely to support that in the future. Linker script
support is so huge that I can't imagine we really want it for COFF. GNU BFD
linker supports it because the linker is built as an interpreter for the
built-in linker script (and that's one of the reasons why GNU linker is by
far more complicated than lld), but that's not the case for lld.

So, "support linker script" is a huge feature request that we are very
unlikely to fulfill. But I don't think that you actually need all the
features of the linker script. If you have some specific need, please
explain. We may be able to help.