[llvm-dev] ThinLTO and linkonce_odr + unnamed_addr

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 7 11:35:56 PST 2018

> From looking at the code, it seems like LLVM is basically opting MachO
into -fvisibility-inlines-hidden all the time, i.e. if the function is
linkonce, it's discardable, so mark it hidden to pretend the compiler
inlined it and discarded it. However, this isn't conforming, because the
addresses of inline functions will no longer compare equal across DSOs.

I think there is a nuance, it is marking these as "auto-hide": it just
means that the address is not taken in the current compilation unit IIRC.
The linker decides that it can hide it in the DSO if none of the
compilation unit is using the address based on this auto-hide flag.

Does it make sense?
--
Mehdi