[llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] Adding DWARF5 accelerator table support to llvm

Pavel Labath via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 1 04:04:19 PST 2018

On 30 January 2018 at 16:39, Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 17:13:36 +0100, Pavel Labath via lldb-dev wrote:
>> so I'm writing this email to see if there's anyone
>> else interested in this topic, and to try to synchronize our efforts.
>
> I am sure interested in DWARF-5 .debug_names.  I wrote its producer+consumer
> for GDB (but not producing/using DW_IDX_DIE_offset as GDB cannot use it).
>

>> 1. add .debug_names support to llvm-dwarfdump via the DebugInfo
>> library (to enable testing of the table generation)
>
> FYI FSF binutils readelf can read .debug_names already for some possible
> format cross-check (to prevent multiple incompatible implementations).
>

>> 2. add .debug_names generation support (not enabled by default)
> +
>> I also have a very basic implementation of (2), but this is still quite far
>> from being upstreamable.
>
> Originally I expected I will reuse the GDB .debug_names producer for LLVM:
>         https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=437afbb81e3a04cbd933fc534a50c686eaa63b19
>         https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=8af5c486ea6153bb84b9257def4e5faa4bc72421
>
> But I see you were faster.
>

> Jan

Thanks for the heads-up. I will study these to make sure we are compatible.

PS: I think people who wrote on this thread are CC'ed on the patch
already, but in case anyone is interested, I have created
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D42740> to implement a unicode-aware
case-insensitive hash according to the dwarf spec.