[llvm-dev] [RFC] Matrix support (take 2)

Simon Moll via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 20 14:00:21 PST 2018

On 12/20/18 6:43 PM, Roman Lebedev wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 7:40 PM Simon Moll via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>>> True, but is there a way we could do this incrementally?  Even if we
>>> start with intrinsics and then migrate to first-class support, at some
>>> point passes are going to be broken with respect to masks on
>>> Instructions.
>> Here is path an idea for an incremental transition:
>>
>> a) Create a new, distinct type. Let's say its called the "predicated
>> vector type", written "{W x double}".
>>
>> b) Make the predicate vector type a legal operand type for all binary
>> operators and add an optional predicate parameter to them. Now, here is
>> the catch: the predicate parameter is only legal if the data type of the
>> operation is "predicated vector type". That is "fadd <8 x double>" will
>> for ever be unpredicated. However, "fadd {8 x double} %a, %b" may have
>> an optional predicate argument. Semantically, these two operations would
>> be identical:
>>
>> fadd <8 x double>, %a, %b
>>
>> fadd {8 x double}, %a, %b, predicate(<8 x i1><1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1>)
>>
>> In terms of the LLVM type hierachy, PredicatedVectorType would be
>> distinct from VectorType and so no transformation can break it. While
>> you are in the transition (from unpredicated to predicated IR), you may
>> see codes like this:
>>
>> %aP = bitcast <8 x  double> %a to {8 x double}
>> %bP = bitcast <8 x  double> %b to {8 x double}
>> %cP = fdiv %aP, %bP, mask(11101110) ; predicated fdiv
>> %c = bitcast <8 x double> %c to %cP
>> %d = fadd <8 x double> %a, %c   ; no predicated fadd yet
>>
>> Eventually, when all optimizations/instructions/analyses have been
>> migrated to run well with the new type, 1. deprecate the old vector
>> type, 2. promote it to PredicatedVectorType when parsing BCand, after a
>> grace period, rename {8 x double} to <8 x double>
> I'm likely missing things,
> but i strongly suspect that the amount of effort needed is underestimated.
>
> Vector support works because, with some exceptions,
> vector is simply interpreted as several scalars concatenated.
>
> Much like as with native fixed-point type support,
> a whole new incompatible type is suggested to be added here.
> I *suspect*, *every* single transform in instcombine/instsimplify
> will need to be *duplicated*.

Actually, there is no need for an entirely distinct type.
PredicatedVectorType could simply be the super class of VectorType.

/// operations of this type may have a mask or an explicit vector length.

class PredicatedVectorType : public SequentialType {

public:
   virtual bool allowsMasking() const { return true; }
   virtual bool allowsExplicitVectorLength() const { return true; }

// [all contents of the current VectorType]
};

// operations of this type can not have a mask nor an explicit vector length

class VectorType : public PredicatedVectorType {
public:
   bool allowsMasking() const { return false; }
   bool allowsExplicitVectorLength() const { return false; }
// no other members
};

When we go down that path, there would be *no duplication* at all,
instead transformations would be lifted from VectorType to
PredicatedVectorType one at a time. Eventually, the PredicatedVectorType
class could be deprecated as masking and an explicit vector length would
only depend on the operation.