[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 13 12:30:21 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:31 PM David Jones <dlj at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 7:18 AM Alex Bradbury via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 at 15:07, Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev
>> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

>> > Ah, okay. "git describe" is new to me :-) I still think v8.0.0-base is
>> > a better name though. v8.0.0-dev really sounds like something one
>> > might check out to get the latest dev version.
>>

> Hmm, I wouldn't worry too much about checking out an old tag by accident... that puts your client into detached head state, and git prints a nice, long warning. (That sort of mistake should be obvious pretty quickly.)

I thought checking them out was the main use for tags. For example, if
I want to build version 4.9.0 of gcc, I clone their repo, check out
the gcc-4_9_0-release tag, and build. The detached state is fine since
I'm not planning to commit there. I might be using git all wrong of
course :-)

>> v8.0.0-branchpoint might be even clearer, though obviously a little longer.

That suggests the tag is where we branched for 8.0.x though, but I
think the idea is to put the tag at the version bump, right after the
7.0.x branch point. So I don't think branchpoint is a good name -- it
seems we're already thinking it means different things :-)