[llvm-dev] New LLVM git repository conversion prototype

Hans Wennborg via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 13 01:49:08 PST 2018

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 5:54 AM James Y Knight via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Jeremy Lakeman <Jeremy.Lakeman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Semantic versioning would recommend "v8.0.0-dev", "v8.0.0-rc1" etc. The hyphen indicating that this is a pre-release version coming before "v8.0.0"
>

> Here's my proposal:
> - Release branches will be named: release/3.5.x (for old version numbering scheme), release/7.x (for new).
> - The tags for release branches will be named v8.0.0 (for final), and v8.0.0-rc1 for release candidates.
> - Tags on the master branch (which will be created at commits modifying the version file after branch creation, ala r338537) will be named v8.0.0-dev.

I'm not sure about the part about tagging the master branch.

In your example, if someone checks out v8.0.0-dev, they would not get
the latest version of 8.0.0-dev, i.e. master, but the *first* commit,
which seems odd.

I suppose we could call it v8.0.0-base or something like that, but do
we really need this?