[llvm-dev] [RFC][llvm-mca] Adding binary support to llvm-mca.

Matt Davis via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 3 14:38:40 PST 2018

Hi Andrea,

On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 01:21:33PM +0000, Andrea Di Biagio wrote:
> So, I have been thinking a bit more about this whole design.
>
> The more I think about your suggested design, the more I am convinced that
> we should do something more to support ranges in binary object files too.
> My understanding is that the reason why we don't support object files in
> general, is because of the presence of relocations. That is because a
> region start marker is effectively symbol relative, and the symbol (a
> function) would be relocated in the final executable.
> You mentioned to me that resolving even a 'simple' symbol-relative
> relocation is not trivial, beause it requires specific knowledge about the
> binary format, and the target (i.e. how relocations are encoded is target
> specific). I am surprised that there is not a utility library for resolving
> relocations.. but I am not familiar with that part of the compiler. I was
> hoping that there was a target specific interface to use in this case...

There might be a better way of resolving the relocs, but from what I saw
looking at llvm-objdump and other related tools, it seems that resolving
the relocated symbol is a target specific effort.  I also spent sometime
sniffing around ExecutionEngine/RuntimeDyld/RuntimeDyld.cpp which also
performs the reloc resolution.  I should clarify that I too am not an
expert in llvm's utilities for performing symbol/reloc resolution, and
perhaps someone in the community can point me in the right direction.  I
can clearly see the reloc data in the object file via tools like
objdump; however, accessing the relocs via
llvm::object::ObjectFile::relocations() did not produce address values
that we could use (values of zero).

I was hoping that, for a first pass at this patch, supporting just
executables would be okay.  That keeps this initial patch set simple,
and hopefully will encourage others to take a peek at it, since it's
less daunting than what it might otherwise be.  Of course, there is the
concern that this initial patch will lock us into a design that will be
more complicated to unravel later.

> An alternative approach would require that you define your own
> "symbol-relative" reference. After all, ranges are just a sequences of
> instructions in a function. If a function symbol is described by the symbol
> table, then you should be able to obtain its offset in the .text section.
> So, you could potentially encode your own symbol+offset. However, the
> linker would not be able to understand your "custom relocation", and
> information about regions in the final elf would be basically broken.
> So,that would not be a solution...
>
> I don't know honestly what is the best approach to use in this case.
> As a compromise, it would not be a bad idea to add the ability to specify
> ranges from command line. What do you think?
> Still, from a user point of view, the idea that we don't support object
> files in general sounds like a big limitation.

I agree, only supporting executables is a limitation.  However, I'd
like to land the base support now and add in the additional
features/support after this large patch set lands.  But I can see
where landing the whole thing entirely also makes sense.

> About the new experimental intrinsics: those would definitely work well for
> the simple case where instructions are from the same basic block.
> However, some/most of the constraints that you plan to add will have to
> change if in future we decide to allow ranges that potentially cross
> multiple basic blocks. How will the rules/constraints on those new
> intrinsics change? I just want to make sure that the suggested design is
> future-proof.

Since the llvm/clang parts of the code are just responsible for
collecting where a range starts/ends, I hope that we can remove some
of the baked-in constraints that are specified in IR/Verifier.cpp.
As you pointed out earlier in this thread, we might want to
introduce a dominance check if/when we lift the one-basic-block
restriction.

-Matt