[llvm-dev] Fixed Point Support in LLVM

Bevin Hansson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 28 00:47:00 PDT 2018

Hi,

On 2018-08-28 07:36, Chris Lattner via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi Leonard,
>
> I’m sorry for the delay responding to this.  Please let me +1 a few downstream comments:
>
> +1 for adding a first class type.  I agree with John that this is not as bad as it might seem.  This allows the core LLVM IR types (e.g. add sub etc) to be defined on these types, and for legalize to do the right thing.  This makes it easier for producers of IR (e.g. clang) to handle them in a uniform way.  I don’t see a downside to this.
Assuming you meant 'operators' rather than 'types', there's an issue
with that. Every line of code in LLVM today assumes that the add, sub et
al. operate on integer types. Fixing that assumption sounds like quite a
bit of work to me, so I think we would likely have to add new operators
for all of the fixed point types. Some of those operators (like
non-saturating add and sub) would essentially do the exact same thing as
regular add and sub anyway, so we'd get needless duplication.

Regarding legalization: depending on where we do legalization of
fixed-point types/operations, it could get hairy. The type system during
lowering is pretty simplistic. Fixed-point types would add multiple
dimensions to the system (width, scale, possibly padding if we include
that), which I think might be hard to represent efficiently in the
MVT/EVT system.
> +1 to Philip’s point about getting much of an implementation in place before starting integration.  This is a big enough piece of work that we should be confident in the design direction, and I don’t want to get another partial transition into the codebase that may or may not get finished.
So does this mean it would be implemented using integers and intrinsics
first, and then moved to a new type solution?

If the first solution ends up working well, would it be an unreasonable
option to use it instead?

/ Bevin