[llvm-dev] Condition code in DAGCombiner::visitFADDForFMACombine?

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 22 08:41:45 PDT 2018

On 22.08.2018 13:29, Ryan Taylor wrote:
> The example starts as SPIR-V with the NoContraction decoration flag on
> the fmul.
>
> I think what you are saying seems valid in that if the user had put the
> flag on the fadd instead of the fmul it would not contract and so in
> this example the user needs to put the NoContraction on the fadd though
> I'm not sure that's a good expectation of the user. On the surface, I
> think that if an operation didn't have the contract flag than it
> wouldn't be contracted, regardless of what flags any other operation has.

Okay, I see that the SPIR-V spec specifically calls out this example.

Unless there are conflicting requirements with another frontend, I'd say
we should make sure LLVM is aligned with SPIR-V here. Something along
the lines of (in LangRef):

``contract``
    Allow floating-point contraction (e.g. fusing a multiply followed by
    an addition into a fused multiply-and-add). This flag must be present
    on all affected instruction.

And we should probably say the same about ``reassoc`` as well.

Cheers,
Nicolai