[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Command line replacements for GNU Binutils

Paul Semel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 15 10:47:16 PDT 2018

Hi Jordan,

On 08/15/2018 05:44 PM, Jordan Rupprecht wrote:
> Thanks for everything, Paul! I hope it was a great GSoC for you. All
> your patches have been very useful :)

Yes, it was, as I say in my post, I really enjoyed my time contributing
to this project, and I'll for sure continue to help you guys on whatever
I can 🙂 !

That's really cool to hear it did help some people 🙂 !

> You mentioned FreeBSD switching to llvm-objdump at the end. I wonder if
> any of the other tools are close enough to parity that they'd be willing
> to dogfood those as well.

Well, it really depends on what you call "close enough". I think one of
the other major problem with llvm binutils is that the outout of some
tools are slightly different from their GNU equivalent, which could be a
problem for some users.

Though, I truly think that a normal user that wants to play with ELF
binaries (I can only say this to ELF, as I didn't really focus on other
formats) will be able to find the equivalent in the llvm binutils suite
(very often, the options are exactly the same, so that the transition is
very easy).

Regards,

--
Paul Semel