[llvm-dev] RFC, compiler-rt: Switching x86 linux default compiler-support library from libgcc to compiler-rt

Sterling Augustine via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 6 11:56:03 PDT 2018

Google has been working to switch our default runtime library for x86-linux
to compiler-rt, both to simplify our builds and to possibly enable some
interesting new projects.

For situations where builds currently use libgcc.a, our early tests show
that libcompiler-rt.builtins.a works reasonably well, with only very minor
issues, which we are working to resolve.

Replacing libgcc_s is a little more involved, but we think we will be in a
position to do that soon as well. New build rules and such are on their way.

Would there be any objections to switching the default runtime library for
linux-x86 to compiler-rt?