[llvm-dev] [7.0.0 Release] The release branch is open; trunk is now 8.0.0

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Aug 3 04:07:43 PDT 2018

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 at 11:42, Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> A few months ago I switched from using SVN for the LLVM project to using the GIT mono-repo, but I am still not particularly good at using GIT.  How can I use the GIT command-line interface to select to the exact same set of sources used for the v7.0.0 branch,

Do you mean the commit that was forked to create the 7.0 branch, the
commit that was released as 7.0.0, or the current status of the 7.0
branch? In turn they'd be:

1. git merge-base master origin/release_70
2. These are stored as tags I believe, though the format has changed
and we only started recently. "git tag" lists what we have now, with
an obvious mapping to releases (for a human).
3. Just plain origin/release_70

> or for the sources at a particular SVN revision (e.g. r338536)?

For now, svn revisions are stored in notes attached to each git
commit. Annoyingly they're not downloaded by default so you have to
run this once:

$ git fetch origin refs/notes/*:refs/notes/*

After that they'll come along with every "git fetch" or "git pull".
Once you have those, I personally just grep a "git log" for a revision
I'm interested in. You could package some variant of

$ git log --grep "git-svn-rev: 338839" -1

into a script pretty easily though.

Cheers.

Tim.