[llvm-dev] [lldb-dev] lldb stops on every call to dlopen

Steve Ravet via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 17 10:28:44 PDT 2018

Pavel asked for a dump of gdb-remote commands.  I got that and ran it through the gdbremote decoder, and trimmed to include what looks like the last successful continue after breakpoint and then the halt on dlopen.  Both cases stop on signal 5.

After the stop message the debugger issues two binary reads and then apparently makes the decision that it should stop rather than continue.  The stopping case is missing the equivalent of "Element 1: Single stepping past breakpoint site 2 at 0x2aaaaaab9eb0” which is in the continuing case.  I’ve attached the file here:

thanks,
--steve

 From the ashes of disaster grow the roses of success.

> [...]
>>

>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 at 02:27, Steve Ravet via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello lldb developers, I am running into a problem with lldb on Linux.  I
>> am currently running llvm 6.0.0.
>>
>>> I have an executable that dynamically loads a large number of shared
>> libraries at runtime.  These are explicitly loaded via dlopen (they are
>> specified in a configuration file), and after loading a few (typically a
>> dozen or so, but the number varies) lldb will halt during dlopen.  If I
>> continue, it will load a few more then halt again, which makes debugging
>> from startup impractical since there are so many libraries to be loaded
>> (more than a hundred of them).
>>
>>> When I build and debug this same C++ on macOS, the debugger works fine.
>> I have verified that target.process.stop-on-sharedlibrary-events is false.
>> I turned on dyld logging and I see lots of log messages about
>> RendezvousBreakpoint being hit, but I don’t see anything that sheds light
>> on why some libraries load without stopping but others don’t.
>>
>>> I have tried to recreate this in a trivial program that calls dlopen in a
>> loop, but haven’t been able to reproduce.
>>
>>> Can your offer any suggestions for further debugging this?  More
>> supporting evidence follows.
>>
>>> Here is the message when the debugger stops:
>>
>>> Process 120004 stopped
>>> * thread #1, name = ‘xxxxxxxx', stop reason = trace
>>>    frame #0: 0x00002aaaacfca6a0 libc.so.6`__restore_rt
>>> libc.so.6`__restore_rt:
>>> ->  0x2aaaacfca6a0 <+0>: movq   $0xf, %rax
>>>    0x2aaaacfca6a7 <+7>: syscall
>>>    0x2aaaacfca6a9 <+9>: nopl   (%rax)
>>
>>> libc.so.6`__libc_sigaction:
>>>    0x2aaaacfca6b0 <+0>: subq   $0xd0, %rsp
>>
>>> I do not have the stop on shared library events setting enabled:
>>
>>> (lldb) settings show target.process.stop-on-sharedlibrary-events
>>> target.process.stop-on-sharedlibrary-events (boolean) = false
>>

>>> The backtrace goes back to dlopen:
>>
>>> (lldb) bt
>>> * thread #1, name = ‘xxxxx', stop reason = trace
>>>  * frame #0: 0x00002aaaacfca6a0 libc.so.6`__restore_rt
>>>    frame #1: 0x00002aaaaaab9eb0 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
>>>    frame #2: 0x00002aaaaaabdc53 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2`dl_open_worker + 499
>>>    frame #3: 0x00002aaaaaab9286 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2`_dl_catch_error +
>> 102
>>>    frame #4: 0x00002aaaaaabd63a ld-linux-x86-64.so.2`_dl_open + 186
>>>    frame #5: 0x00002aaaac39df66 libdl.so.2`dlopen_doit + 102
>>>    frame #6: 0x00002aaaaaab9286 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2`_dl_catch_error +
>> 102
>>>    frame #7: 0x00002aaaac39e29c libdl.so.2`_dlerror_run + 124
>>>    frame #8: 0x00002aaaac39dee1 libdl.so.2`__dlopen_check + 49
>>
>>> the dyld debug log has a lot of this:
>>> 209 intern-state     DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD::RendezvousBreakpointHit pid
>> 153501 stop_when_images_change=false
>>> 210 intern-state     DynamicLoaderPOSIXDYLD::RendezvousBreakpointHit
>> called for pid 153501
>>> 211 intern-state     DYLDRendezvous::Resolve address size: 8, padding 4
>>> 212 intern-state     DYLDRendezvous::Resolve cursor = 0x2aaaaaccc160