[llvm-dev] [DWARFv5] Assembler syntax for new line-table features

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 4 15:48:02 PDT 2018

> > I'm guessing Eric's the most likely to have contacts over in GCC land to
> maybe bridge the gap when talking about assembly syntax across the two.
> Eric - any ideas how best to negotiate this pseudo-standard? (there's
> another feature or two I'd like to propose too - at least to standardize
> what the syntax /should/ be, even if gas doesn't support it immediately)
>
> Can we discuss this on the GCC mailing list? I guess if we both use the
> same syntax it’s more likely others will follow.

My inclination was the dwarf-discuss mailing list, which has members
from the gcc community and others.  But if people really prefer a
gcc-specific list, after which we simply impose a decision on everyone
else, let me know the address.

> > On Mar 29, 2018, at 6:22 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I meant specifically the choice for it to be quoted rather than a
> bare hex literal.
>
> +1, I’m wondering the same.

I assumed that LLVM's AsmParser could not accept a 128-bit hex literal,
given that the CodeView equivalent used a quotes.  That's the only reason.
More digging turns up the .octa directive which demonstrates the quotes
are not necessary.  I'll take an action item to make the 'md5' option
take a bare 128-bit number.
--paulr