[llvm-dev] LLVM PPC JIT Error

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 4 15:38:53 PDT 2018

Hi Ulrich, and any other llvm PowerPC/JIT users,

It looks like the Numba maintainers have run in to an issue with
RuntimeDyldELF's PowerPC support (See
https://github.com/numba/numba/issues/2451#issuecomment-377739948 and later
comments)

Due to a recent change to weak symbol handling, we now always resolve to
the first copy of a function that is emitted (discarding redundant weak/odr
definitions in the subsequent objects). It seems that this is resulting in
PPC functions referring to the wrong TOC.

I think one valid solution would be to always use to the global function
entry point and update the TOC pointer, but I don't have a good sense of
how much overhead this would impose, or how performance sensitive current
powerpc clients are.

Otherwise I think we should track which functions came from which object
and pick the global entry point where appropriate.

Do you have any thoughts on this? Or any suggestions on the best person to
speak to about ELF/PowerPC JIT support?

Cheers,
Lang.