[llvm-dev] [RFC] [lit] Report line numbers for failed RUN commands

Joel E. Denny via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 2 13:25:17 PDT 2018

When some lit tests fail, I find it time-consuming to locate the source
line of the failing RUN command.  Running lit with -vv (or just -v in the
case of the internal shell) makes it easier because it prints an expanded
version of each RUN command as it executes, but it can still be challenging
because lit doesn't provide the RUN command's source line number.

While I haven't personally seen failures in the following tests, grep
helped me discover them as extreme examples where finding the RUN source
line should prove challenging:

1. clang's test/Driver/linux-ld.c has 892 total RUN lines

2. clang's test/Driver/arm-cortex-cpus.c has 424 RUN lines after
concatenation for line continuations

To address this issue, I wrote the following patch to introduce RUN source
line numbers into lit's -vv output (or -v for the internal shell), but the
patch needs a review:

https://reviews.llvm.org/D44598
I've been using this patch for a couple of weeks, and it's a big
improvement for me.  If there's some existing feature that people already
use to handle this issue, please let me know so I can improve my usage of
lit.

Thanks.

Joel