[llvm-dev] SchedClasses

Andrew Trick via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 29 16:51:17 PDT 2017

> On Sep 22, 2017, at 10:34 AM, Thorsten Schütt via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking at the scheduling model of the ThunderX2. I am trying to figure out the cost of the LDADDALX instruction. The following program’s output is:
> name LDADDALX; class 872
> microops 65535
> I would have assumed that the microops are less than 20. The ThunderX2 has a detailed cost model for LSE. Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Cheers,
>  Tom
>
> #define GET_REGINFO_ENUM
> #include "AArch64GenRegisterInfo.inc"
>
> #define GET_INSTRINFO_ENUM
> #include "AArch64GenInstrInfo.inc"
>
> #define GET_SUBTARGETINFO_ENUM
> #include "AArch64GenSubtargetInfo.inc"
>
> #include "llvm/MC/MCSchedule.h"
> #include "llvm/MC/MCRegisterInfo.h"
> #include "llvm/MC/MCInstrDesc.h"
> #include "llvm/MC/MCInstrInfo.h"
> #include "llvm/MC/SubtargetFeature.h"
> #include "llvm/MC/MCSubtargetInfo.h"
>
> #define GET_INSTRINFO_MC_DESC
> #include "AArch64GenInstrInfo.inc"
>
> #define GET_SUBTARGETINFO_MC_DESC
> #include "AArch64GenSubtargetInfo.inc"
>
> #define GET_REGINFO_MC_DESC
> #include "AArch64GenRegisterInfo.inc"
>
> int main(int argc, char **argv) {
>  llvm::MCInstrInfo II;
>
>  llvm::InitAArch64MCInstrInfo(&II);
>
>  llvm::StringRef ref = II.getName(llvm::AArch64::LDADDALX);
>  llvm::MCInstrDesc d = II.get(llvm::AArch64::LDADDALX);
>
>  printf("name %s; class %d\n", ref.str().c_str(), d.SchedClass);
>
>  printf("microops %d\n", llvm::ThunderX2T99Model.getSchedClassDesc(d.SchedClass)->NumMicroOps);
>
>  return 0;
> }
>
> /*
>   LDADDALB_LDADDALH_LDADDALW_LDADDALX = 872, in Sched enum
> */

I bet the problem is that “WriteAtomic” is marked unsupported, so it gets an invalid sched class. The invalid NumMicroOps means that the scheduler will assert if it ever sees that instruction.

def : WriteRes<WriteAtomic,  []> {
  let Unsupported = 1;
  let NumMicroOps = 2;
}

def : InstRW<[THX2T99Write_16Cyc_I012, WriteAtomic],
            (instrs LDADDALB, LDADDALH, LDADDALW, LDADDALX)>;

To debug things like this, look in AArch64GenSubtargetInfo.inc. Or use the schedcover.py script.

-Andy