[llvm-dev] Errors linking with LLVM 5.0 - dump() missing

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 25 14:53:57 PDT 2017

> On Sep 25, 2017, at 2:47 PM, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile at majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Matthias,
>
> On 25 September 2017 at 22:43, Matthias Braun <mbraun at apple.com> wrote:
>> The dump() methods are only meant to be used in debuggers and are only available in debug builds of LLVM. There are often similar print() methods available though.
>>

> I am not sure how this is the case seeing that the dump() function has
> been working in release builds in all the LLVM releases I have used
> (from 3.5 to 4.0).
The idea behind r198456 and the whole discussion in http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-January/034323.html <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2014-January/034323.html> was that the dump() method are not available in release builds to safe code size. The dump methods can be included in the release builds anyway by enabling LLVM_ENABLE_DUMP.

The actual implementation of this policy however lacked and depending on which dump() method you looked you would find a different pattern of when it is disable/enabled; I cleaned this up in r293359 <https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk@293359> so all dump methods are enabled/disabled consistenly.

In any case if your client code uses dump() methods then I'd recommend to change it.

- Matthias

>>> On Sep 25, 2017, at 11:40 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>>> I am finding that my project that previously successfully built with
>>> versions 3.5 to 4.0 is now failing to link because of missing
>>> implementation for dump(). Errors I get are:
>>>
>>> Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
>>>
>>> "llvm::Type::dump() const", referenced from:
>>>     ravi::LuaLLVMTypes::dump() in ravi_llvmtypes.cpp.o
>>>     dump_content(lua_State*) in ravi_llvmluaapi.cpp.o
>>> "llvm::Value::dump() const", referenced from:
>>>     dump_content(lua_State*) in ravi_llvmluaapi.cpp.o
>>> "llvm::Module::dump() const", referenced from:
>>>
>>> This appears to be a change that is not documented in the release
>>> notes of 5.0. Please can someone describe what the change is and how I
>>> can detect whether the dump() implementation is available or not?
>>>
>>> It also seems strange that dump() implementation was removed - surely
>>> it would have been better ti stub it so that client code does not
>>> break?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Dibyendu