[llvm-dev] Errors linking with LLVM 5.0 - dump() missing

Dibyendu Majumdar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 25 11:40:49 PDT 2017

Hi,

I am finding that my project that previously successfully built with
versions 3.5 to 4.0 is now failing to link because of missing
implementation for dump(). Errors I get are:

  "llvm::Type::dump() const", referenced from:
      ravi::LuaLLVMTypes::dump() in ravi_llvmtypes.cpp.o
      dump_content(lua_State*) in ravi_llvmluaapi.cpp.o
  "llvm::Value::dump() const", referenced from:
      dump_content(lua_State*) in ravi_llvmluaapi.cpp.o
  "llvm::Module::dump() const", referenced from:

This appears to be a change that is not documented in the release
notes of 5.0. Please can someone describe what the change is and how I
can detect whether the dump() implementation is available or not?

It also seems strange that dump() implementation was removed - surely
it would have been better ti stub it so that client code does not
break?

Regards
Dibyendu