[llvm-dev] Spill Weight In InlineSpiller

Shobaki, Ghassan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Sep 24 12:12:57 PDT 2017

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for the reply! However, we are not using any profiling-based compilation in our current work. We are assuming that, if PGO is disabled, the register allocator (and any other pass that needs basic block frequency info) will be basing its decisions on some kind of *static" basic block frequency info that are based on some compile-time heuristics and at least capture loop nesting levels. With such static info, we don't expect see blocks with zero frequency; we expect a block outside all loops to have a frequency of 1 or some small non-zero number. Does LLVM compute such static info? If yes, how do we enable that?

Thanks

Ghassan Shobaki

Assistant Professor of Computer Science

California State University, Sacramento