[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 21 22:25:45 PDT 2017

> [...]
>> effectively run in the pipeline after inlining, and so I doubt it would
>> have been much use outside of embedded environments (and maybe some HPC
>> environments) with straightforwardly-presented C code. It's only now that
>> this has been fixed that I find the possibility of integrating this in
>> production interesting.
>>

>> That is a good point. There are also biases independent of past
>> experiences (for disclosure mine is (*) above). But I think it is objective
>> to say a Polly integration is a big piece to swallow.Your pro-Polly
>> argument lists a number of categories that I think could be reasoned about
>> individually and partly evaluated with a data-driven approach:
>> A) Architecture
>> - support for autoparallelism
>> - support for accelerators
>> - isl- rewrite? etc
>> B) Modelling
>> - polyhedral model
>> - temporal locality
>> - spatial locality
>> - Dependence Analysis
>> - Transformation effective/power (loop nests, quality of transformations,
>> #vectorizable loops etc)
>>
>> A) is mostly Polly independent (except for the isl question I guess). For
>> B and C performance/ compile-time /opt-viewer data on a decent/wide range
>> of benchmarks possibly at different optimization levels (O2, O3, LTO, PGO
>> etc and combinations) should provide data-driven insight into
>> costs/benefits.
>>

>> I agree. In practice, the first question is: Are will willing to take on
>> Polly (+isl), in whole or in part, as a build dependency? If the answer is
>> yes, the next question is: what parts should be reused or refactored for
>> use in other parts of the pipeline? My argument is that we should take on
>> Polly, or most of it, as a build dependency. Work on better unifying the
>> developer communities as we start experimenting with other kinds of
>> integration. This will, however, allow us to provide to all of our users
>> these transformations through pragmas (and other kinds of optional
>> enablement). This is an important first step.
>>

> When you write that we should take Polly as a build dependency: are you
> envisioning this to be tied into LLVM to the point where we can't build
> LLVM without Polly?
> I thought the approach would rather be that a default build of LLVM would
> have Polly available but that there will "forever" be a
> `-DENABLE_POLLY=OFF` option?
> This seems like an important distinction to me, as making it more
> integrated but still optional for the correct behavior of LLVM means that
> people can continue to work and maintain "forever" an optimization pipeline
> which operates without Polly, while starting to get more integration in a
> pluggable form. I believe this is the direction that was taken with the
> GSoC last year, trying to get Polly as a "pluggable" dependency analysis.
>

> I don't want to make statements about "forever":

Right, I forgot the asterisk to explain my quotes around "forever": I meant
by this "not until we have compelling data and agreement to do otherwise".
I think we're on agreement on this though :)

> eventually, I'd like to have strong loop optimizations as an integrated
> part of LLVM. At that point, "Polly" might be little more than a shorthand
> for some parts of LLVM. Now LLVM currently has an issue whereby it's
> difficult to build customized versions with only a subset of needed passes,
> but that's an orthogonal issue. In the short term, it would certainly be
> separable. I believe that we'd certainly keep the `-DENABLE_POLLY=OFF`
> option as long as we felt it made sense.
>
> By build dependency, I mean: The sources are part of the main source tree,
> they're built by default, thus essentially all of the builders build them,
> and they'll end up in many distributions and derived products. This will
> allow us to build on what's there in whatever ways make sense.

Thanks for clarifying!

>> I'm not sure exactly how good this is, but polly has LNT-submitting bots,
>> so the website can generate a comparison (e.g.,
>> http://lnt.llvm.org/db_default/v4/nts/71208?compare_to=71182). Looking
>> at this comparison shows a number of potential problems but also cases
>> where Polly really helps (and, FWIW, the largest two compile-time
>> regressions are also associated with very large execution performance
>> improvements). My first focus would certainly be on pragma-driven
>> enablement.
>>

> I'll add: PGO-driven enablement: spending compile-time where we know it
> can have an impact. What do you think?
>

> Certainly (although, obviously, we still need reasonable confidence that
> it won't cause performance regressions to do that).

Oh right, I meant it through an opt-in flag to begin with
(-fenable-pgo-polly or something like that).

--
Mehdi