[llvm-dev] [RFC] PT.2 Add IR level interprocedural outliner for code size.

Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 21 19:10:14 PDT 2017

In general I would love to see an outliner at the IR level also. But rather than a comparison vs. the machine outliner I would like to learn more about how the core data structures between the outliners will be shared. In particular for matching/pruning it seems to be a reasonable approach. A few more remarks/questions are below also.

Thanks
Gerolf

> [...]
>

> ---- A replacement for the Machine Outliner? Not exactly ----
>
> The IR outliner was never intended as a replacement for the machine outliner and the two can coexist. The outliners tend to catch very different cases: the machine outliner tends to favor very small candidate lengths. Using a build of llvm-tblgen, the machine outliner gets ~52% of its benefit from outlined functions of 2-3 instructions. The IR outliner tends to favor large candidate lengths(2-20+), often composed of function calls. 52% of the benefit for the IR outliner in the llvm-tblgen example is found in outlined functions with final lengths up to 17. Data for example runs of both can be found in the graph data file and is summarized in Graph[2].
>
>   Included in the performance data are metrics showing the performance of using both the IR outliner and machine outliner. The data indicates that you can achieve up to, and exceed, 2% reduction of both geomean and total size by using both.
>
> ---- Pros/Cons of IR----
>
> The current algorithm is implemented at the IR level, but there are trade offs to placing this transformation anywhere in the pipeline(IR/preRa/postRA).
>
> -- Less Precise Cost Modeling:
>  Being at the IR level creates a need to estimate the size cost of any given instruction.
> - How much does this imprecision affect the benefit estimation?
> - Included in the data : Graph[1]: is the difference between our estimated function size and the actual size in the binary. It shows that we get very close and tend to be on the conservative side.
> - Estimation causes the IR outliner to be conservative. Which means that we are losing out on potential benefit by overestimating cost.
>
> -- Higher Level of Abstraction:
> - The outliners are essentially string matching algorithms. Being at a higher level of abstraction naturally gives more opportunities for equivalence. As an example, call instructions are handled naturally at the IR level.
> - Will a preRA outliner be able to have the same relaxation in congruence matching? E.g will it be able to match tail and non tail function calls?
> - Being at the IR level means that we lose out on some instruction lowering idioms, e.g. constant expressions, bitwise rotation([shl, lshr, or] -> [rot]), etc.
> - This is evident in the results for test suite for aarch64, in which the machine outliner outperforms the IR outliner due in part to the large amount of global accesses in the tests.
>
> -- Maintainability:
> - The IR level in general is much more maintainable.
Why so? How did you measure that? What is your measure for “maintainable?"
> - We don’t have to be as conservative about certain ABI characteristics. This allows for the IR outliner to work without the need for any extra work(special options) from the users. For example, the machine outliner requires ‘noredzone’ but the IR outliner does not.
>
> -- Pipeline Flexibility:
> - As shown in the performance data below, we can get up to 2x performance by working pre function simplification. Though working pre simplification means the outliner must gamble between the benefits of outlining vs simplification.
>
> -- Loss of control:
> - The machine level can have more control over the outlining process. We could have optimized parameterization, alignment handling, etc.
>
> ---- Adapting the algorithm to pre-RA IR ----
> The analysis portion of the IR outliner is already IR agnostic for the most part. It works on indices into the congruency vector for instructions and their inputs/outputs. This would mean that a preRA outliner would only have to define the MIR specific portions: Congruency detection, cost analysis, parameter/output optimizations, and the outlining of beneficial candidates.
That should apply the other way around too: take the MO outliner and adapt. No?