[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Sep 20 09:04:36 PDT 2017

Hi Sjoerd,

On 09/20, Sjoerd Meijer wrote:
> I have not been following the polyhedral developments in both GCC and
> LLVM very closely the last few years, but I was just wondering if
> there are any lessons learned we should look at (or actually already
> aware of) in GCC's implementation and integration of Graphite. For
> example, do we know if it is (still)  enabled/used/etc.?
I tried to look this up online but most documents were rather old
(<=2015). The changes for graphite.{h,c} seem to be scarce nowadays too
(6 in 2016 + 2017). However, I am no Graphite expert and I hope
Sebastian [CC] can help.

> And in the context of possibly rewritten bits and pieces of Polly,
> thus making it modular, and making its exact analysis available to
> "traditional" optimisations passes such as e.g. the vectoriser, is
> there data that that shows that it really improves performance? Is
> there e.g. data available that shows the performance uplift of the
> vectoriser using the exact polyhedral data dependence analysis over
> the traditional data dependence analysis
Afaik, there is only (the rather inconclusive) GSoC from 2016. I'll try
to generate numbers soon but first for the value analysis as the
separated dependence analysis is not ready.

It is also worth to note that the current dependence analysis are
apparently broken and incomplete. Here is part of the exchange between
Gerolf Hoflehner and Sebastian Pop also in this thread:

On 09/13, Sebastian Pop via llvm-dev wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Gerolf Hoflehner via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > Are you saying the LLVM Dependence Analysis is incorrect or do you
> > actually mean less conservative (or "more accurate" or something
> > like that)?
>
> Yes, the LLVM dependence analysis is broken from day one, by design,
> due to a misunderstanding of the meaning of GEPs:
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130701/179509.html
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130701/179529.html
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20130701/179570.html
>
> Loop interchange and any other pass that relies on the current llvm
> dependence analysis may generate wrong code.
> See https://reviews.llvm.org/D35430
>
> Another point, the MIV test in the llvm depednence analysis is not
> implemented, and so the scope of the llvm dependence analysis is
> rather narrow: i.e., it would not be able to solve the loop
> interchange in spec2000/swim.

> I am a big fan of the polyhedral model and these are not leading
> questions, but I was just wondering if that could help in deciding to
> make it modular and slowly integrating it, or just to have it as a
> separate pipeline.
I think these questions are perfectly fine and deserve to be answered!
Though, it is not that simple to generate the numbers you are interested
in and it will consequently take a little bit more time.

Cheers,
  Johannes

Tel. +49 (0)681 302-57521 : doerfert at cs.uni-saarland.de
Fax. +49 (0)681 302-3065  : http://www.cdl.uni-saarland.de/people/doerfert