[llvm-dev] [RFC] Value Range Based Optimization Opportunity in LLVM

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 9 08:14:03 PDT 2017

Hi Tony,

I am currently working on a polyhedral value analysis that I first
sketched here [0]. It is parametric and supports piece-wise defined
values, e.g. the abstract value for Ret in the first example would look
something like this:
  Ret =    (    0    if __builtin_expect(!Ptr, 0) == 0)
        or (calli(a) if __builtin_expect(!Ptr, 0) != 0)

Similarly for the second example the abstract value of len would depend
on flag and p for some cases and on flag and funcReturningArbitraryi64
for others.

Given such a piece-wise abstract value it is easy to find the conditions
under which they are constant or simple (for some definition of simple).

You can also evaluate expressions under certain constrains, e.g., in a
certain basic block or iteration of a loop. If you want you can even
derive IR from the conditions or the value under some condition.

I will present the analysis (and a subsequent memory analysis) in the
SRC at the US LLVMDev meeting next month. If you are interested we can
also look into using it to build the transformation you are describing.

Cheers,
  Johannes

[0] http://llvm.org/devmtg/2017-02-04/  // The llvm website was down when I
                                           wrote this mail though.