[llvm-dev] Status of debuginfo-tests

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 14:57:17 PDT 2017

You are making a pretty strong case.

There's a tactic used in some test subtrees that could help with the source-code-sharing part, which is to keep the shared stuff in an Inputs subdirectory and then have a lit test script in the parent directory with a .test suffix.  This lets you do stuff like:

$ cat ./Inputs/foo.c
int main() {}
$ cat ./foo-1.test
REQUIRES: win32
RUN: %clangcl /whatever %S/Inputs/foo.c
$ cat ./foo-2.test
UNSUPPORTED: win32
RUN: %clang –gdwarf-2 %S/Inputs/foo.c

and so forth, so the actual C/C++ source is shared but the scripting can be tuned as needed.  There's a trivial amount of lit magic to make lit ignore the Inputs subdirectory and run files with .test suffixes.  This should make it easier to have separate Windows and gdb-like scripting.  In fact you could even put the scripts in debugger-specific directories and work out lit magic to run only the relevant subdirectory's tests, which lets you avoid repeating the REQUIRES/UNSUPPORTED stuff everywhere.  We do architecture-specific test subdirectories this way, for example.
--paulr