[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [RFC] Open sourcing and contributing TAPI back to the LLVM community

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 09:29:08 PDT 2017

> InstallAPI:
> InstallAPI is a new build phase that generates the TBD file from header
> files only. This allows a dependency of the library to build concurrently
> even before the library has been built itself. This can be used to
> increase parallelism in the build or larger projects or operating systems.

My experience is that headers don't necessarily form the best source of
truth about the API exported from a library.  If you follow the Windows
model of marking exported APIs explicitly (declspec(dllexport) or something)
then okay, but that's a Windows extension and not common in other systems.
Linker scripts seem to be a more popular method; does the tool read linker
scripts to form the content of a TBD file?
Otherwise I'm not seeing a generic improvement in build parallelism.
--paulr