[llvm-dev] Status of debuginfo-tests

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 7 11:41:02 PDT 2017

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 11:23 AM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:
>
> What is the status of debuginfo-tests?  Is it actively supported?

Yes absolutely. For example, all jobs on green dragon run it.

>   How do you run it?

The repository is supposed to be cloned into llvm/tools/clang/test and will then appear as part of check-clang.

>   It doesn't appear to be based on lit, any particular reason?

It is most definitely based on lit.

>   Why is it its own repo instead of being part of llvm repo?

Presumably (this decision predates me) so it can be easily disabled.

> I'd like improve this to support CodeView and PDB, such that it would only run on Windows and only if a suitable debugger was found (probably WinDbg).  WinDbg supports a JavaScript-based scripting model, similar to how LLDB supports a Python based model, so my thoughts were to have a lit-based runner that scans for .js files that contain a test script alongside some source, then build the program, run it in WinDbg with some script that does various things, and exits the debugger, moving on to the next test.

The repository already supports running with gdb and lldb (by implementing the gdb commands used in the tests using the lldb python API), so I'm sure a similar approach should work for Windows as well.

> Anything I should be aware of / careful of when messing around in here?  And any reason it can't be moved to llvm/tests and ported to lit?

As I said above, it is based on lit and considered part of the clang testsuite.

-- adrian