[llvm-dev] Why are LLVM releases statically linked against LLVM libraries?

Will Dietz via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Sep 2 18:41:17 PDT 2017

Sincere question!
I'm not at all suggesting this is the wrong choice or asking it to be
defended, just explained :)

Simply curious if anyone can speak as to the reasons for this
and perhaps give a sense of how strong these reasons are
or if they're just the tie-breaking reasons we came up with
because hosting /both/ seemed silly :P.
(or whatever the case may be)

I'll note the build system in general defaults to this behavior,
AFAIK it's not particular to releases, but I'm targeting releases
since in theory that's what users end up with-- the default
developer experience might have a slightly different story to tell.

As I understand it the many-shared-libraries build configuration isn't
supported,
so I think the primary "alternative" in terms of which is the default
would be using
and linking against libLLVM.

I can speculate the reasons from a technical standpoint and by
inferring from commit history...
but curious if there's a better answer to be had?

Thanks! :D

~Will