[llvm-dev] Compile LLVM into LLVM IR with non-Xcode Clang

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 1 10:11:36 PDT 2017

Sorry for the delayed response.

The problem is that libtool (or ar/ranlib), and ld need to be able to read the bitcode files in order to generate symbol tables for the archives and to link the final binaries. You've updated your clang to generate new bitcode, but the libtool, and ld on the system can't read the bitcode.

There are two ways to get around this.

(1) You can allow LLVM's build system to do all the hard work for you by configuring your initial LLVM build with this command:

cmake -G <generator> -C <path to clang>/cmake/caches/Apple-stage1.cmake

Then build the "stage2" target. This will take a long time to run, but it will build clang, then use that clang to build a second LTO'd clang where you can rip apart the LLVM archives.

(2) Alternatively you can set two CMake options DARWIN_LTO_LIBRARY and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH. DARWIN_LTO_LIBRARY needs to point to the lib/libLTO.dylib which matches your clang and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to point to the lib directory containing the libLTO.dylib.

Hope this helps!
-Chris