[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 23:23:00 PDT 2017

I’m ok with that, but the reason I’m pushing is because there is no clear
plan of action. Even if the plan of action is “When X happens, we can
enable C++14”, that’s fine too. I just want to know, concretely, what is X.

We should either be able to say never or give a reasonable set of
conditions that would enable a switch. All I’ve seen though is “it’s hard”
which just means I’m going to ask again next year, and the year after, etc
due to lack of clear guidance.

To address your point though , this isn’t really about building everything
with clang. You don’t need to bootstrap Clang to build a hypothetical C++17
enabled LLVM, you could also bootstrap a more modern version of GCC.

This is really more fundamentally about “Can we have a clearly defined
policy about how often we can bump the minimum compiler version, like we
have for MSVC?”