[llvm-dev] Using C++14 code in LLVM

Kamil Rytarowski via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 31 14:37:32 PDT 2017

On 31.10.2017 21:57, Zachary Turner via llvm-dev wrote:
> Issue: Various other platforms have older GCCs as their system compiler,
> and it's annoying to upgrade.
> Question: Do any of these not have a port you can install?  For example,
> NetBSD 7 appears to have GCC 5.3 as a port, if DistroWatch is any
> indication.  It could be wrong though and I could also be
> misinterpreting it.

NetBSD ships with GCC-4.8.x in NetBSD-7 and GCC-5.x in NetBSD-8. NetBSD
8.0 should be released soon (this year?). This is just the base compiler.

We ship newer and older versions in pkgsrc for any stable release. The
most recent is gcc8snapshot from 20171022, the oldest one is gcc2.

GCC from pkgsrc does not conflict with the base system and people can
install simultaneously any number of them. I expect that someone might
be upset to use an intermediate bootstrap compiler, but as long as no
need for this in the most recent version (8.0beta with GCC 5.4.0) I
think it's fine.