[llvm-dev] RFC: Generate plain !tbaa tags in place of !tbaa.struct ones

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 30 20:11:22 PDT 2017

On 10/18/2017 05:49 AM, Ivan Kosarev via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The motivation behind this proposal is to make it possible to
> propagate TBAA information through scalarizing transformations,
> such as SROA, that rewrite accesses to aggregates, e.g., memcpy()
> calls, into accesses to scalars, that is, load and store
> instructions.
>
> Currently, we decorate instructions that initialize and copy
> aggregates with !tbaa.struct tags that generally cannot be
> transformed to !tbaa tags. For this reason every time we
> scalarize an aggregate, we leave resulting loads and stores
> undecorated, meaning optimization of such instructions cannot
> benefit from TBAA.

I understand that we'd like to improve TBAA in a number of different
ways, and that probably involves replacing !tbaa.struct with an enhanced
!tbaa representation, but I don't understand the point of this proposal.
As you state, there are lots of places that could use !tbaa.struct
information, such as SROA, but don't. Is the current !tbaa.struct
missing some information that is essential for that purpose?

  -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Leadership Computing Facility