[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding bit to register MachineOperands to allow post-RA register renaming

Geoff Berry via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 26 10:31:04 PDT 2017

Hi All,

My thinking is that in cases where you want to do this kind of renaming,
you will need to go through the work of finding all the defs that reach
a use (or vice-versa), and if you find a def in this case to be a
function live-in, then you can't rename that def.  Quentin, to answer
you question directly, this information would not be available when
looking at a use, but only as a way of bailing out once the defs were
being analyzed.

Nemanja, I'm not that familiar with the details of the AntiDepBreaker
pass, but generally speaking, in the case of an anti-dependency, e.g.

   x0 = INST1
   x1 = INST2 x0
   x0 = INST3

you will always know that since x0 is clobbered by INST3, the def of x0
in INST1 and the use of x0 in INST2 can be renamed since that value
can't live past INST3.