[llvm-dev] Whither/whether -mtune support?

Kristof Beyls via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 21 03:58:44 PDT 2017

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My thoughts on getting -mtune working were along the same lines, and indeed at least conceptually shouldn’t be too hard.
Given there are valid use cases for -mtune and it doesn’t seem like it will be hard to maintain support for it, I don’t see a reason why not to support -mtune.
My gut feel is that the hardest part about this is making sure that as target features are introduced in the future, they always get marked correctly on whether they are a code generation or a tuning feature. (I tend to call these “architectural” vs “micro-architectural” features, but I don’t see a need to bikeshed on this naming convention here). A tiny bit of well-written documentation and careful review should hopefully avoid those kind of mistakes when new features get introduced.

I also don’t have concrete plans myself to work on this soon, but I’m also happy to help review where I can if someone picks this up.

Thanks,

Kristof