[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Saito, Hideki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 16 16:51:14 PDT 2017

>I think we need to get that story right for both cases up front.

Renato, I kicked off this secondary discussion, borrowing the opportunity from Michael's RFC,
but to the point of reviewing https://reviews.llvm.org/D38676, I'd like the review to proceed
separately from this bigger (and most likely longer) discussion. We intentionally made the interfaces
similar such that whatever the outcome of this discussion would be, the changes we have to make later,
if any, is small and mechanical. We just need to agree that
	VPValue/VPUser/VPInstruction
is not a precedence, i.e., still subject to ongoing discussion and is expected to abide by the eventual
outcome of this discussion.

To the best of my understanding, if we do not want to modify the IR (i.e., CFG, Instructions, and Uses/Defs hooked up
in the Function) before we decide to let vectorizer transform (i.e., cost modeling phase of LV), we really don't have anything
that we can use today in the LLVM infrastructure. If the collective wisdom concludes investment into that, we are more than
happy to contribute our share of effort, but that longer term work (one year is probably too optimistic) should not block shorter
term development of vectorizer.

More inputs from other optimizers would greatly help build up the context of this discussion. Please speak up
if you felt similarly to us in the past. I'll be at the LLVM Conference if anyone is interested in in-person discussions.

Thanks,
Hideki