[llvm-dev] IR Pass Ordering Sensitivity

Madhur Amilkanthwar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Oct 15 21:03:06 PDT 2017

One may want to read an interesting paper around this

https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~cavazos/oopsla-2006.pdf

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:42 AM, Sanjoy Das via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi Kavon,
>
> JFYI, while in general any sequence of optimization passes should compose
> produce a valid optimization pipeline, there are some tradeoffs LLVM makes
> in
> practice for backend passes.  I think the current structure is more on the
> lines
> of:
>
>  - Passes that are part of "opt -O(3|2|1|0)" should compose in any order
> to form
>    a correct compilation pipeline that can handle any IR.
>
>  - IR passes that are only run by backends:
>     * Should never silently miscompile IR
>     * May fail asserts on IR they can't handle
>
> I'd suggest restricting your autotuner on passes that are part of "opt
> -O(3|2|1|0)" as a starting point.
>
> -- Sanjoy

*Disclaimer: Views, concerns, thoughts, questions, ideas expressed in this
mail are of my own and my employer has no take in it. *
Thank You.
Madhur D. Amilkanthwar