[llvm-dev] [RFC] Polly Status and Integration

Hongbin Zheng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 14 13:30:02 PDT 2017

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Michael Kruse via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>:
> > I'm also sorry that I'm not commenting on the main part of your RFC in
> this reply. I just want to focus on
> > one thing here.
> >
> >                       Proposed Loop Optimization Framework
> >                       ------------------------------------
> >                       Only the architecture is outlined here. The
> reasons for them can be
> >                       found in the "rationales" section below.
> >
> >                       A) Preprocessing
> >                       Make a copy of the entire function to allow
> transformations only for
> >                       the sake of analysis.
> >
> > Before we started our journey into VPlan-based vectorization approach,
> we explicitly asked about modifying the IR for
> > the sake of vectorization analysis ----- general consensus in LLVM-DEV
> was "that's a bad idea". We thought so, too.
> > That's the reason VPlan has its own local data structure that it can
> play with.
> >
> > Making a copy of the entire function is far worse than copying a loop
> (nest). Unless the community mindset has dramatically
> > changed since ~2yrs ago, it's unlikely that you'll get overwhelming
> support on "copy the entire function" before the decision
> > to transform is taken. So, if this part is optional, you may want to
> state that.
> >
> > Having said that, in https://reviews.llvm.org/D38676, we are
> introducing concepts like VPValue, VPUser, and VPInstruction,
> > in order to manipulate and interact with things that didn't come from
> the IR of the original loop (nest). As such, I can see
> > why you think "a playground copy of IR" is beneficial. Even before
> reading your RFC, I was actually thinking that someone
> > else may also benefit from VPValue/VPUser/VPInstruction-like concept
> for the analysis part of some heavy-weight transformations.
> > Ideally, what we wanted to do was to use LLVM's Value class hierarchy if
> we could generate/manipulate "abstract Instructions"
> > w/o making them parts of the IR state, instead of creating our own
> light-weight VPValue/VPUser/VPInstruction classes.
> > If anyone has better ideas in this area, we'd like to listen to. Please
> reply either to this thread or through the code review
> > mentioned above.
>
> Thank you for bringing in results from previous discussions. The only
> resource I was aware of was the EuroLLVM talk where I got the
> impression this was done for performance reasons. Do you recall the
> arguments why it was considered a bad idea?
>
> I understand that modifying the IR speculatively might not the best
> thing to do. However, I also think that another meta-layer
> representing instructions increases complexity and duplicates
> algorithms when we could just reuse the data structures and algorithms
> that already exist and have matured.

I have a feeling that the LLVM LoopInfo/Loop datastructure, which only
focus on the CFG, is not sufficient.
And we build extra layer upon the LLVM LoopInfo/Loop, e.g. Scop in Polly
and  the Hierarchical CFG in VPlan (right?).

Maybe we can have layers between the existing LoopInfo/Loop and VPlan/SCoP:

1. LoopInfo/Loop
2. LoopInfo/Loop + Hierarchical CFG
3. LoopInfo/Loop + Hierarchical CFG + Memory Accesses description
4. VPlan/Scop

I think layer 2 and 3 will be very useful even outside of Polly and VPlan

Hongbin