[llvm-dev] LLVM Linker

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 10 01:59:42 PDT 2017

I am not sure why you want llc to link binaries. It is not designed for
that. This is just a tool for developers to get access to the back end
passes including codegen (and provide IR as input). What you are after is
well outside of the design goal of llc and I don't believe the community
will accept any patches you propose to let llc invoke a toolchain to build
binaries. If I am wrong in this assessment, I hope someone more experienced
will correct me.

That being said, I don't see any reason you might want this (hence my
expectation of the community's reluctance to allow this). If you want to
build executables, you'll have to invoke the toolchain yourself - or use
clang.
You can see what clang will do on your system with an invocation such as
this:
$ clang -O2 a.ll -v

The file a.ll is just an IR file that has a main. That will link the binary
and show you the steps it took to do so on your system.