[llvm-dev] Trouble when suppressing a portion of fast-math-transformations

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 2 17:48:46 PDT 2017

On 10/01/2017 06:05 PM, Sanjay Patel wrote:
> Are we confident that we just need those 7 bits to represent all of
> the relaxed FP states that we need/want to support?
>
> I'm asking because FMF in IR is currently mapped onto the
> SubclassOptionalData of Value...and we have exactly 7 bits there. :)
>
> If we're redoing the definitions, I'm wondering if we can share the
> struct with the backend's SDNodeFlags, but that already has one extra
> bit for vector reduction. Should we give up on SubclassOptionalData
> for FMF? We have a MD_fpmath enum value for metadata, so we could move
> things over there?

I agree that using SubclassOptionalData is going to be problematic when
we run out of bits. As I recall, the reason that we didn't use metadata
in the first place was because metadata is (generically) expensive. This
case is very much like the case of debug info: in some modes, we add the
debugging metadata to nearly every instruction. We use metadata for
debug locations, syntactically, but we actually have a DebugLoc in each
instruction that's used for the underlying representation. Here we'd
have a similar problem: in some modes, we'd add this metadata to a large
subset of all instructions. That could measurably slow down the
optimizer. We may need to find some other place to put the data (e.g.,
an actual member variable of Instruction or more tail-allocated data in
places)

  -Hal

> On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Ristow, Warren via llvm-dev
>
>     Hi Hal,
>
>     >> 4. To fix this, I think that additional fast-math-flags are likely
>     >> needed in the IR.  Instead of the following set:
>     >>
>     >> 'nnan' + 'ninf' + 'nsz' + 'arcp' + 'contract'
>     >>
>     >> something like this:
>     >>
>     >> 'reassoc' + 'libm' + 'nnan' + 'ninf' + 'nsz' + 'arcp' + 'contract'
>     >>
>     >> would be more useful.  Related to this, the current 'fast' flag
>     which acts
>     >> as an umbrella (enabling 'nnan' + 'ninf' + 'nsz' + 'arcp' +
>     'contract') may
>     >> not be needed.  A discussion on this point was raised last
>     November on the
>     >> mailing list:
>     >>
>     >>
>     http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-November/107104.html
>     <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-November/107104.html>
>     >
>     > I agree. I'm happy to help review the patches. It will be best
>     to have
>     > only the finer-grained flags where there's no "fast" flag that
>     implies
>     > all of the others.
>
>     Thanks for the quick response, and for the willingness to review.
>     I won't let
>     this languish so long, like the post from last November.
>
>     Happy to hear that you feel it's best not to have the umbrella
>     "fast" flag.
>
>     Thanks again,
>     -Warren

Hal Finkel