[llvm-dev] CUDA kernel call with template parameters not appearing in Clang AST

Michael Ehmke via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 28 09:21:58 PST 2017

Hello all,

I'm using Clang and am trying to refactor CUDA code. I want to traverse the
AST to access a CUDAKernelCallExpr node where the kernel call has template
parameters. I have been able to successfully match on and access CUDA
kernel calls which have no template parameters by using the AST matchers to
match on a CUDAKernelCallExpr. However, when my code comes across a kernel
call with template parameters, it appears that the expression is not even
existent in the AST when it is dumped.

This is the expression that I'm having trouble parsing:

ex. matrixMulCUDA<16><<< grid, threads >>>(d_C, d_A, d_B, dimsA.x, dimsB.x);

This expression does not show up at all in the AST when dumping the AST. I
have been able to successfully parse the following kernel call expression
and it shows up in the AST as a "CudaKernelCallExpr" node.

ex. matrixMulCUDA<<< grid, threads >>>(d_C, d_A, d_B, dimsA.x, dimsB.x);

As you can see, the only difference is the <16> after the name of the call,
and this node is clearly represented in the AST.

Here is a screenshot showing the lack of a node to represent the call with
template parameters.

[image: image.png]
If I could get any assistance on why this is happening, I would appreciate
it greatly.

Thank you,
Michael Ehmke